My Travels

Google

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Ah...Paree

Rush Rush Rush,

Woke up late today. Just made it down in time for breakfast. mmm.. croissant..and butter, and cafe au lait... Checked out of the hotel,these guys are really nice.. Hotel Belfort, like I said, looks sketchy at first, but I am impressed, will for sure stay here again. It's close to the metro and everything else... heck, it even has a rotten ronnies around the corner.

Paris is pretty cool. Had a bit of a rushed day today, checked out of the hotel and headed over to La Louvre to see Mona.. she's alot smaller than I expected.. they herd people by and you can't take pictures, but people still do. La Louvre was free today, wandered around a bit, but was short on time so said Whassup to Monna and took off... If you ever go the Louvre, go on Wed or Fri night (it's cheaper) or plan a good few hours.. it's not something you can do effectively in an hour or two.

TIP: It's free the first Sunday of every month, but if you walk by the main entrance, there are hordes of people. There are several other entrances, just go in one of those... voila no line up... I stumbled upon the passholders only entrance, and just walked in there.. it's free so no one checks your pass.

Then headed over to see La Defense, which is pretty much the downtown office area of Paris. Very nice, the have this massive cube built out of Marble, it's pretty breathtaking, and the elevators to the top are way cool. It's a bit of a ripoff because they advertise Panoramic Views, but you can only walk on one of the 4 sides of the cube when you're at the top. So I went back down the really cool elevators... if you're afraid of heights... like I am, even ever so little, take this elevator.. it's a really cool experience..

Went from La Defense to go see the Eiffel Tower, got off on the wrong stop on the train, but figured I was close enough anyways.. WOW what a view from that place.. the stop is called Trocadero. Unbeleivable, I think better than getting off up close. It's up on a hill facing the tower and wow, C'est Magnifique. A must see if you're ever in Paris. I didn't even bother to go to the tower itself.. it was a little bit overcast and figured I won't be able to see much or get any good pictures... plus I had already done two high buildings...what's another one?

Left Trocadero and headed for Sacre Couer, a basilica in Montmartre and wow another unbeleivable sight. The girl I met from Victoria recommended it highly and boy was it worth it. There are these masive steps leading up to it, a panoramic view of most of the city, old cobblestone steps and shops.. I had to spend a bit of time there.. .if you go, plan an hour or two at least... if you can't do steps, there is a tram thingy that will take you to the top (that damn bus pass came in handy.. you can use it on the Tram :)

There is an art market there where people will draw your portraits.. stay away from the freaks on the street that walk around with clipboards... just around the corner are the real artists... Met one of them, Omar from Uruguay... WOW this guy is so talented, I wish I had the cash for one of his portraits... 5o Euro was what he was gonna charge me instead of the normal 70, but of course I'm not gonna torture him to look at me for that long. But he did have one that he did from a picture of Uma Thurman... great, this guy knows how to draw.. the features, the attitude, everything... it truly gives you an appreciation for art when you see all these different artists and compare their works and the intensity and attitude and just plain talent that shows in their work, some of the portrais were dark, solemn, others were comical or serious, and some were very good, but none of them stood out like this guys work.. If you are evern in Paris.. please go see him and if you like... get a portrait done.

I'm back at the Internet Shop now http://www.zeidnet.com/ uploading my pictures.. this guy has a card reader, is super friendly, and has a world class setup, the prices are reasonable as well. He's right down the street from the Notre Dame Cathedral, a white sign and red letters... INTERNET.

Gonna go get some paintings from the corner stores.. they have really cheap ones.. and then off to London again. I think I have really grown attached to this place, I'm gonna miss it. Must come back one day for at least a week...

Au Revoir

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home