My Travels

Google

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Regrets

Did something today that I regret, however, I'm not sure what else I could have done....

Went for dinner in an area called Surry Hills, not exactly the best area in Sydney, as we got out of the car and headed towards the main road from the parking lot, someone bumped into me as they walked the other way on the sidewalk.. intentionally, some kid, being the non confrontational person I am, I turned around, and even though I knew it was intentional, said sorry. turning around I noticed that a group of youths were surrounding an asian kid at the bus stop, there was 4 or 5 of them I think... now it's about 8:30pm and dark outside, not a very well lit street, but at the same time, not too far from the main road. As Salima and I walked past them, I saw one of the kids grab the guy, another reached into his back pocket and there was a bit of a commotion, by this point we were past the bus shelter and couldn't see from the angle we were crossing the street at, but I knew in my head what was happening, instead of looking to see, I just walked on, not sure whether these kids had knives or how crazy they might be, I just walked away, heard the fear in the poor kids voice as he yelled help...help... it's the first time I've been in such a situation, but I just kept my back turned and walked away, as we got on the main road, we called the police and advised them of what we saw, we looked back and didn't see anybody there by the time we got the cops on the line...

I'm not sure what I could have done, yelled, helped the kid, made noise, take a picture of the rotten kids to get them to come after me as I ran like a girl into a restaurant or somethine, but all I thought about was to leave them alone so that they dont come and hurt us, me, I was worried about Salima and the stuff in my backpack, how selfish is that?

I know that I had lots of options as to what I could do, didn't think quick enough, and took the selfish way out.

on a lighter note, got to go for a really fun ride in a Turbocharged S2000 through the streets of Sydney, with the top down and the sun blaring in my face, the rumble of the exhaust in my ears, and a shit eating grin that lit up my eyes...

And as if that wasn't enough, Got to drive an Alfa Romeo Spyder tonite, that was fun, the car is a little rough on the suspension, sticky shifter, great 2nd gear and good overall power, but it doesn't come close to the S2000 (lots of legroom though!) .. Thanks Salima for letting me drive... another wonderful experience in good old Sydney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home